Background: Southeast Raleigh Promise is a Raleigh-based nonprofit organization. Our mission is to serve alongside our neighbors, strategic partners, and funders to ensure that Southeast Raleigh residents have access to equitable opportunities to grow, thrive, and prosper.
We envision a Southeast Raleigh where our history and culture are acknowledged and celebrated, structural barriers are removed, and all residents have access to pathways to achieve full success and prosperity. Our work is rooted in community engagement and approached through a racial equity lens.
Formed in 2017, SERP is the 16th Purpose Built Community in the country. To advance our mission, we lead strategy, foster collaboration, and leverage major investment in four key areas: housing, education, health & wellness, and economic mobility.
The Leadership Opportunity: SERP seeks a dedicated operational leader with a passion for SERP’s mission, core values, and program; outstanding financial and administrative management skills; and strategic and tactical expertise to enhance the organization’s infrastructure through thoughtful planning and sustainable business practices.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills working closely with SERP’s CEO, board of directors, and internal and external constituencies, to ensure accountability for a healthy operating environment.
While providing strategic and daily leadership in areas of finance, operations, information technology, and human resources, the Director of Finance and Operations will interface and build trusting relationships with external entities such as auditors, vendors, and other key stakeholders.
Major Responsibilities: The Director of Finance and Operations will report directly to the CEO and has primary responsibilities for the following areas:
- Develop, coordinate, and administer the annual budgeting process, business policies, and internal controls for fiscal operations and prepare the annual operating budget for approval.
- Lead, direct, and manage all fiscal and administrative performance of day-to-day accounting and administrative functions to maximize efficiency and ensure internal controls.
- Serve as the finance and management liaison with the SERP executive and finance committees.
- Monitor budget performance and prepare and analyze quarterly budget variance reports for distribution to the CEO; manage revenue and expense projections.
- Ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the business operations, including, but not limited to, purchases, benefit plans, contract management, accountants and auditors, and outside vendor relationships.
- Expand and oversee human resource functions, payroll, and maintain administrative and personnel policies and procedures, including preparation of periodic updates.
- Oversee content and quality review of all internal and external financial and compliance reporting.
- Manage all grant contract administration functions.
- Support real estate development activities to ensure fiscal oversight and management.
- Understand and apply applicable laws, policies, and workplace procedures quickly and succinctly to assure timely, consistent, and accurate compliance.
- Oversee the implementation of the information technology systems, bringing recommendations as needed to improve operations.
- Serve as a team builder within the organization and with the partners and constituents in the community.
- Able to work effectively with individuals and organizations in the public, private, and independent sectors.
- A solid work ethic with energy, enthusiasm, and optimism.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team and with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Firm sense of mission and a desire to work with children and families living in poverty.
Hiring Requirements and Attributes
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to conduct formal presentations.
- A track record of management, operations, and fiscal administration, including expertise in budgets, finances, strategic planning, and audits.
- Awareness and willingness to grow in the understanding and application of practices that promote racial equity and inclusion.
- A consummate professional with high ethical standards of conduct, integrity, and fiduciary responsibility.
- Exceptional listening skills, a good sense of humor with humility, and a respect for the privilege of service to the community.
- At least five years of professional senior-level or executive financial and operations experience with philanthropic, nonprofit, or financial institutions.
- An undergraduate degree in a related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please email email@example.com with a resume, cover letter, and at least two professional references. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until an offer is accepted.
SERP is committed to an equitable and inclusive Raleigh and encourages people who share that commitment to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from people of all races, genders, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, and sexual orientations.